Our Patient Packing Guide
It’s important to make sure that patients are comfortable while receiving treatment at Alabama Clinical Schools. While our facility will provide a number of items for patients, we’ve outlined which additional items a patient will need to pack, and what should be left at home. We ask that patients and visitors adhere to the guidelines below to ensure security for all patients, guests and staff.
Most clothing will be provided to residents upon arrival. However, some personal clothes are necessary for outings and visits.
- Seven pairs of pants
- Seven shirts
- Seven pairs/sets of underwear
- One set of sleepwear (sweats and t-shirt)
- Knee-length shorts (for gym activities)
- One coat
- One pair of tennis shoes (we will remove laces and replace them)
- One pair of shower shoes/slides
- One pair of slip-on shoes (optional)
- Personal hygiene items will be provided. However, approved items may be purchased for residents.
Personal Items & Electronics
- One portable music player (CD player, mp3 player, etc.) with headphones (without camera, recording device, or Wi-Fi capability)
- One watch and/or battery powered alarm clock
- Family photos
- Reading materials, puzzle books, playing cards
- Personal journals
- Crafts (painting, coloring, etc.)
- Other items with approval
Contraband & Other Items NOT Allowed
- Shoelaces. We will replace shoelaces with safe laces.
- Drawstrings. If residents bring or purchase clothes with drawstrings, the drawstrings will be removed and discarded.
- Clothing with references to gangs, drugs, or alcohol, or with profane, obscene, or suggestive printing, pictures, or designs.
- Clothing that is too tight or too loose.
- Extreme hairstyles. Hair should be of natural color and approved by the resident’s guardians.
- No visible tattoos or piercings
- Items that may be used to harm self or others are not allowed on the unit.
Final Guidelines, Handling Cash & More
Requesting Personal Items: Not all items brought on arrival will be allowed in their rooms. Certain items may be granted based on the current phase of treatment, treatment team approval, and level of safety. Residents will need to submit a privilege request for other personal items, including:
- Games, crafts, cards
- Personal bedding, stuffed animals, etc
- Books or magazines (approved by the therapist)
- CDs, CD players, mp3 players (without camera, recording device, or Wi-Fi capability)
- Other items not otherwise noted
Money: Residents who receive cash or checks must submit them to the Business Office and obtain a receipt. The resident may request money in advance for passes with family or caseworkers. Residents are not allowed to keep money in their possession on the units.
PLEASE NOTE: We discourage the purchase of extra personal items while in treatment since Alabama Clinical Schools has limited storage. The contraband list is subject to change based on treatment team recommendations and the resident’s current safety status. Some items may be rejected at admission because they are considered valuables and may be stolen or lost, or they may cause a distraction or disruption to the resident’s treatment. Alabama Clinical Schools is not responsible for the loss or damage of personal items. Residents are not allowed to lend, borrow, or give away clothing or any other belongings.
We’re Always Here to Help
Licensed mental health professionals are available 24/7 to schedule a no-cost, mental health assessments by calling 205-836-9923. For questions about our programs, you can also use our online contact form. In the case of a medical emergency or crisis, please dial 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.